Friday, February 14, 2014

Accidental genealogy discovery

My lecture/slide show/trunk show entitled "Six Generations of Maine Quilt makers" includes my maternal grandmother, Lillian Robinson.   I am constantly discovering more about my ancestors. Sometimes by active research, other times purely by accident. Although I knew my grandparents lived in Portland, Maine for a time, I didn't know exactly where or when. I certainly could find out by active research, but hadn't yet done so. 
Today, while searching through an old box of buttons, I came upon this: an envelope addressed to my grandmother in May of 1946. My Uncle Bob was in the Navy and had sent her a letter, revealing their street address. Eureka! So, I now have a springboard for more research. My grandmother had saved a set of buttons in this envelope and tucked it away in her box of buttons. We just never know what discoveries await us! 
 

1 comment:

  1. Didn't Portland Press run a piece recently about photos of houses in Portland now available for viewing. These are old photos. Maybe you could find their house. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete